Tuesday 11 September 2007

A Crossroads


I levelled Gulwyr, my paladin, up to 21 at the weekend, and in the process finished all the quests in Ghostlands apart from the 3 group quests in Deathholme. I'm not quite sure yet what I think of paladins - on the plus side they're pretty resiliant (although if you get overconfident that's quickly no longer the case), my retribution build and 2-hander means I kill stuff fairly quickly with little downtime, and I'm looking forward to one day kitting him out in a full set of Imperial Plate armour to confuse my fellow Hordies.

On the downside, can I really face levelling another character? There's a few other question marks too - I already have one character who's a damn good healer, but not the priest that people really want (and another who actually is a priest but I don't like). A plus of a paladin is that he can tank as well - my plan would be to heal or tank for 5 mans, and heal in raids, but that would get expensive in respec costs. But it really comes down to can I face The Crossroads and southern Barrens again...

1 comment:

Paul said...

Re: your question on my blog

Druids have an advantage in a massive physical damage fight like Gruul due to their massive armor and health compared to a comparably-geared Warrior or Paladin. The downside to this is that they can never attain immunity to crushing blows.

Warriors have the most developed array of abilities for tanking, including things like Demoralising Shout and Thunderclap that can actively reduce their incoming damage. They can't multitank as easily as a Druid or Paladin though.

Paladins suffer from the lowest base health of any of the tanking classes. That, combined with the fact that we need to stack more dodge/parry/block chance than Warriors to attain immunity to crushing blows means that we currently lag behind the other tanking classes at the equivalent gear level. On the plus side we get nice AoE threat and have a good advantage against Demons and Undead. We're awesome in Karazhan and we apparently justify a raid slot in Serpentshrine Cavern/Tempest Keep. However it seems that we're the least desirable option for tanking Gruul's Lair/Magtheridon.

There are rumors this will be addressed in 2.3, so by the time you're at Gruul/Mag, it may be a whole 'nother story. However, since Blizz seem to be unable to get 2.2 out of the door, lord knows when we'll see anything on 2.3...