Monday 16 September 2019

So it begins (again)

WoW Classic has got me!

The adverts tempted me to have a go and I'm really enjoying it so far. Unfortunately I wasn't sold enough to pre-reserve any character names, so my Forsaken warrior is now called Oswyn.


I'm not really sure what my favourite bits are but -
  • I love the ambient music in the Barrens
  • Although I've levelled I'm not sure how many characters through Kalimdor I'm enjoying the sense of "going out into the unknown". Though a slight shadow of the first time around, that first cross of the bridge into the Barrens was exciting, and with new-Grulnak I did the run into Ashenvale to pick up the Splintertree flight point at far too low a level, keeping a careful eye out for red-level mobs
  • Although some people of course are level 60 already it's still an occasion when you see someone on a mount (i.e. level 40!), and generally people are levelling in a helpful spirit such as grouping for shared credit when Kreenig (briefly) spawns
  • Levelling weapon skills are weirdly enjoyable, as you know it's something the modern game has lost
Initially I made a new Grulnak before re-thinking with the help of a re-read of the posts on this blog. Given my alt-itis it seemed daft to have two versions of the same character, especially since shamans weren't especially viable main healers back in the day. Since I used to (mostly) enjoy tanking, and often undead to me feel more "right" dungeoneering than do orcs, I'm planning - at the moment - to replay Shank, with somewhat more foresight of the end game experience this time.

Having levelled through Durotar again I thought I'd do a fly-through of the modern version with level 98 Grulnak. It was interesting to see things like the new developments on the Echo Isles, but I was surprised and bizarrely offended that the harpies and quillboars around Razor Hill are now around level 20!

No comments: