Wednesday 15 January 2020

Moonkin problems

I'm struggling a bit with my moonkin spec at the moment. Outside of guild groups I'm sometimes not wanted as a damage dealer, and while I can heal I rarely want to offer myself as a healer since my spec's not really ideal for that.

Inevitably there are stronger and weaker classes for different roles, and I feel it's fair that druids and others should pay the "hybrid tax". It's hard to argue with the general theme of rankings such as those on Icy Veins - if you're looking for a damage dealer you'd really like a mage, if a healer a priest, if a tank then a warrior.

It's also frustrating. If I was wanting to play as a shaman tank (something I've done out of necessity in the past) then it would be fair enough for a lot of groups to not be interested - it's their time as well. But moonkins aren't such bad damage dealers that you'd avoid them, anymore than you'd avoid a shadow priest.

Contrarily, the struggle has motivated me to look harder at my gear and consumable options and see how I can maximise my damage. It seems that I'm valued in our raid. As much as the received wisdom seems to be that the moonkin buff isn't worthwhile and it's better to bring another, "proper", damage dealer, this doesn't seem right to me. For one thing it's not just any four mages that I'm buffing, it's the four best mages in the raid, so the buff is disproportionate, and for another while my damage is low there are fights where I'm competitive with the lower performing "proper" damage dealers.

For now I can live with the problems.

No comments: