Wednesday 23 September 2020

C'thun and Mor Grayhoof down

With C'thun down a major milestone on my Classic journey is completed. We still have Viscudus (the real end boss of AQ40?) to go, and then in a way I'll have seen all that Classic has to offer (having completed Naxxramas in the Lich King expansion).

It's interesting what a step change the end bosses of AQ40 are, with the Twins requiring warlock tanks and good raid awareness and plenty of stress on healers, C'thun really putting responsibility on everyone and Viscudus it seems requiring extreme preparation. Our first kill of C'thun involved 7 wipes (including a obligatory run-in-too-early half-wipe which doomed the attempt) but for such a complex fight seemed easier than the Twin Emperors in the end. Our second kill took only 2 wipes, but the same evening involved two wipes on the Bug Trio and 4 on Ouro so we're a long way from having mastered the instance.

Our struggles seem to be symptomatic of a slight malaise in Classic at the moment. Our guild has lost some key players to burn out and in two cases to more "hardcore" guilds, we have in turn recruited from a couple of disbanding guilds. There are rumours of the final phase of Classic coming around December time which I've seen suggested as too soon but to me seems about right - Classic definitely has a shelf life.

I've also nearly finished the dungeon set 2 upgrade chain to the point where I've got the Idol of Rejuvenation (and a rather nice off-hand, at least until my Alterac Valley rep grind is complete) from Mor Grayhoof. I'm pausing there for now so that I can help the guilds other druids summon him (since I don't yet have the set 1 chest piece and so can't complete the chain). The annoying thing about this is that the quest items are taking up 3 bank slots, which are in short supply at the moment!

There are plenty of things in the game for me to still see and do, but I'm not sure how many others have the same mindset.


No comments: