Thursday 11 June 2009

Alts update

A really bad Nexus PUG a week or so ago made me shelve Grulgok, and Grulnak's to-do list - which is mainly to grind cash - has been boring me a bit, so I've been alt hopping again.

Grumdril got a few levels, then got re-rolled on an RP-PVP server. The population of the starter zones seem a lot more pleasant on the RP server, which reinforces my long-term plan of transfering to one if my guild ever implodes.

Grazznak, my level 48 warlock, had a bit of a run-out. A brief flirtation with Destruction proved costly in bandages, it really doesn't seem like a levelling spec until perhaps level 64 when the Incinerate spell becomes available. So back to Affliction for him.

And then I got to thinking (again) what I'm really trying to achieve with my alts, apart from them taking up more of my Real Life time?

Grulnak is my achiever, my raider, and offers far more opportunities than a tank or melee DPS has access to.

I yearn to have a tank - in my 40s and 50s with Shank I was regarded as a good one, and when guildies or LFG calls out for one I want to help out. But realistically tanking heriocs would be my limit. Given my available time I'd be at least a tier behind with a tank where I could be with a healer, given that a tank's gear sets the limits for a raid in a way that a healer's gear simply doesn't.

I also want to be able to explore Alliance areas, plus I have the occasional "Dwarfs are cool" moments such as in the lead up to the Razorscale fight. However being on an Alliance character (or even another server) means I'm not in my guild chat.

Also, some recent reading of RP blogs has reinforced my basic decision to play Orcs (thanks Blogatelle!). Plus it's a fair bet that, with the grass-is-greener thing, if I was playing as a dwarf I'd have plenty of "Orcs are cool" moments.

So, this week's alt plan -
  • Grulnak - Orc shaman - herbalist / alchemist
  • Grulnika - Orc rogue - enchanter / scribe
  • Grulgok - Orc warrior - miner / blacksmith (slightly on the back burner)
Currently Grulnika's an enchanter / skinner, but being a scribe would not mean that I didn't have to grind Hodir rep again, but also Grulnak has the matching gathering skill.

No comments: